Summary of changes
We collect information in a few different ways
When you give it to us or give us permission to obtain it
When you sign up for or use Artwerks you voluntarily share certain information including your name, email address, social media account names, photos, and any other information you give us. You can also choose to share your precise location using your device settings or through photos. We will still use your IP address, which is used to approximate your location, even if you don't choose to share your precise location. You will also have the option to share other information about yourself such as your gender, age and preferred language.
We also get technical information when you use Artwerks
When you use a website, mobile application or other internet service, certain internet and electronic network activity information gets created and logged automatically. This is also true when you use Artwerks. Here are some of the types of information we collect:
- Log data. When you use Artwerks, our servers record information (“log data”), including information that your browser automatically sends whenever you visit a website. This log data includes your Internet Protocol address (which we use to infer your approximate location), searches, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, how you used Artwerks, cookie data and device data. We primarily use Google Analytics to collect this information.
as well as certain preferences or other settings so you don‘t have to set them up every time you visit Artwerks.
- Device information. In addition to log data, we collect information about the device you’re using Artwerks on, including the type of device and operating system.
- Clickstream data and inferences. When you’re on Artwerks, we use your activity—such as which art you like or dislike, data you enter, or any text that you add in a comment or description—along with information you provided when you first signed up. For example, if you upload photos with oil on board in the description, we may infer you are an oil painter.
What we do with the info we collect
Our purpose is to forge connections between artists and art collectors. We use the information you provide or that we otherwise collect to improve this experience, including:
- Identify what art to recommend to art collectors see.
- Identify which artists that art collectors may want to follow.
We have a legitimate interest for using your info in these ways. It's fundamental to what we do at Artwerks and necessary in order to make Artwerks a community of connected artists and art collectors. We also have a legitimate interest in making Artwerks safe and improving our product features so you keep finding the inspiration you want. We all benefit when we use your information to:
- Suggest other art and artists similiar to art and artists you already like.
- Help your friends and contacts find you on Artwerks, if you agree to this in your settings.
- Work with law enforcement and keep Artwerks safe. We may get requests for account information from law enforcement authorities like the police or courts and we will comply with any legally correct requests.
- Conduct analytics and research on who is using Artwerks and what they are doing. For example, by logging how often people use two different versions of a feature on Artwerks, we can understand which version is better.
- Improve Artwerks and offer new features.
- Advertise Artwerks products and services to you on other sites.
- Send you updates (such as when certain activity, such as the addition of new art by a favorite artist happens on Artwerks) and news by email, depending on your settings. For example, we may send weekly or monthly updates that include art you may like. You can always opt out or unsubscribe from these emails.
Transferring your information
Artwerks is a worldwide service. By using our products or services, you authorize us to transfer and store your information outside your home country, including in the United States, for the purposes described in this policy. The privacy protections and the rights of authorities to access your personal information in such countries may not be equivalent to those of your home country.
Choices you have about your info
Our goal is to give you simple and meaningful choices regarding your information. If you have a Artwerks account, many of these controls are built directly into Artwerks or your settings. For example, you can:
- Edit information in your profile at any time.
- Close your account at any time. When you close your account, we’ll deactivate it, remove your art if you are an artist, and delete your account data. The data collected on your art preferences (what art you like or dislike while using the platform) will remain but be anonymized. Please note that there may be legal reasons for us to keep your data, such as if we receive a law enforcement request asking us to preserve data. We may also retain certain information in our backup systems for a limited period of time, or as required by law.
How and when we share information
Anyone can see public Artist and Collector profiles, which will include any information you place in your profile. If you do not want your information available publicly, simply modify the information in your profile. When you first log into Artwerks you will be immediately provided the opportunity to edit your profile. You can always edit your profile from the settings menu. We also share your information with:
- Services we use to market Artwerks to you on sites and apps such as Facebook Ads, Google Marketing Platform and others from time to time.
- Online advertisers and third-party companies that we or they use to audit or improve the delivery and performance of ads or content on websites and apps (for example, through Google Analytics).
- Law enforcement agencies or government agencies. We only share information if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety, rights, or property of the public, any person, or Artwerks; or to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- If we were to engage in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganization, or similar transaction or proceeding that involves the transfer of the information described in this Policy, we would share your information with a party involved in such a process (for example, a potential purchaser).
How long we keep your information
We keep your information only so long as we need it to provide Artwerks to you and fulfill the purposes described in this policy. As noted above, when you delete your account we may keep records of what art you liked or disliked to help us continue to provide value to other users, but this data will no longer be linked to your personal data. When we no longer need to use your information and there is no need for us to keep it to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations, we’ll either remove it from our systems or depersonalize it so that we can't identify you.
Our policy on children’s information
Children under 13 are not allowed to use Artwerks.
You have options in relation to the information that we have about you. To exercise these options, please visit your account settings or email us (email@example.com).
- Request access to the information we collect and hold about you. We'll usually share this with you within 30 days of you asking for it via email.
- Have your information corrected or deleted. You can update your information in your profile or delete your data by closing your account.
- You can opt out of receiving marketing messages from us. We may still send you updates about your account or when important changes occur, such as a major change to this or other policies.
- Request more details about the information we collect and how and why we use and share it.
How we make changes to this policy
We may change this policy from time to time and if we do, we’ll post any changes on this page. If you continue to use Artwerks after those changes are in effect, you agree to the new policy. If the changes are significant, we may provide a more prominent notice or get your consent, as required by law.
The best way to get in touch with us or to exercise your options described above is through email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Effective Date: October 24, 2020
Last Updated: October 24, 2020